Using the right cleaning product is as important as using the right waterproofing product. Conventional detergents leave behind a thin water-absorbent film on materials, which masks their water repellency. Therefore, always clean your waterproof garments with Nikwax Tech Wash®. Remember that dirt itself works against water repellency, so regular cleaning will enhance performance. Suitable for all KLIM softshell items.
Softshell & Tech Wash Duo 300ml
Breathable softshell garments are most likely to get sweaty and wet inside when used in damp or wet conditions. If the outer fabric absorbs water, the garment can lose up to 70% of its breathability. Therefore, the Durable Water Repellency (DWR) on the outer fabric of your softshell jacket must be maintained to ensure comfort. It will eventually wear off and need to be renewed with Nikwax SoftShell Proof™.
Your softshell garment could be soaking up water just because it is dirty. First, try cleaning it with Nikwax Tech Wash®, and if it is fairly new, or recently re-waterproofed, the Durable Water Repellency (DWR) will be revitalized just from cleaning. But, once the garment has been thoroughly worn, you will need to add DWR, using Nikwax SoftShell Proof™, after cleaning first with Nikwax Tech Wash®.
Nikwax SoftShell Proof™ Wash-In is easy and quick to apply in a washing machine, and its highly Durable Water Repellency (DWR) develops on air drying. The washing machine application ensures that the treatment goes right through the garment, treating seams, tapes and cords, as well as the fabric. Also, as the need for tumble drying is removed, this saves energy and protects more vulnerable, older, garments from heat. Nikwax SoftShell Proof™ Wash-In has been specifically designed and optimised for softshell garments; it leaves a flexible water repellent treatment on individual fibers allowing moisture vapor to pass through, maintaining breathability.
For best results remove all non-washable parts and always clean item(s) first with Nikwax Tech Wash® in a separate wash cycle. No need to dry item(s) before waterproofing.
SoftShell Proof™ instructions for use:
- Remove all detergent build up from the detergent dispenser.
- Place maximum of 2 clean garments in washing machine.
- Use 100ml per garment.
- Run 30°C synthetic cycle and slow spin.
- All clothing including high activity/technically advanced garments
- Ideal cleaner to clean nylon and synthetic tents, rucksacks, awnings, marquees, fabric accessories and camera bags, etc
- Prolongs the life of gear and optimises outdoor performance
- Maintains breathability
- Maintains original water-repellency
- Easy to apply — can be used in a washing machine
- Suitable for use on all fabrics, including technical textiles
- Lifts out dirt that can attract water and mask water repellent finishes
- Unlike conventional detergents, it does not leave behind water attractive residues which encourage ‘wetting-out’
- Place item in washing machine
- Apply Nikwax Tech Wash in the machine’s dispenser
- Select a normal wash cycle, start machine and complete rinse cycle
- Alternatively, just apply Nikwax in a simple hand wash
- Drip-dry or tumble dry on a low setting if the care label allows
To tents and accessories
- Apply item in hand-hot water in a sink or bowl and agitate
- Rinse thoroughly in clean water.
Tech Wash can be applied neat to fabrics as a stain or grease remover prior to washing.